Advanced Multiphase PEFC Performance Model Now Available for Download
Click Here to Download
Congratulations to Jake and Sarah LaManna on the birth of their son, Lukas John LaManna, born on July 11th!
Welcome to the Electrochemical Energy
Storage and Conversion Laboratory (EESC)
- The FCDDL specializes in development of advanced experimental diagnostics and computational tools for polymer electrolyte and microbial fuel cells.
- The APL was created in 2011 to maintain and grow an array of ongoing research concepts and funded programs that fall outside the realm of batteries and fuel cells.
- The FBDDL was created in 2010 to respond to the growing need to understand methods of transport in flow battery systems.
Recent Publications from the EESC Lab
- J. M. LaManna, J. V. Bother, F. Y. Zhang, M. M. Mench, "Measurement of Capillary Pressure in Fuel Cell Diffusion Media, Micro-porous Layers, Catalyst Layers, and Interfaces," Journal of Power Sources, (2014). In press.
- M. P. Manahan, J. T. Clement, A. K. Srouji, S. W. Brown, T. Reutzel, and M. M. Mench, "Laser Modified Fuel Cell Diffusion Media: Engineering Enhanced Performance via Localized Water Redistribution" Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 161, F1-F9 (2014).
- Xu, G.Q. LaManna, J. M., Clement, J. T., and Mench, M. M., “Direct measurement of through-plane thermal conductivity of partially saturated fuel cell diffusion media,” Journal Power Sources, 256, 212-219, (2014).
- LaManna, Chakraborty, S., Gagliardo, J. J, and Mench, M. M., “Isolation of transport mechanisms in PEFCs using high resolution neutron imaging,” Int. J. Hydrogen Eng, (2014). Accepted for publication.
- Jon P. Owejan, J. P, Trabold, T. A. , and Mench, M. M., “Oxygen Transport Resistance Correlated to Liquid Water Saturation in the Gas Diffusion Layer of PEM Fuel Cells," International journal of heat and mass transfer, 71, 585-592 (2014).
- Che-Nan Sun, F. M. Delnick, D. S. Aaron, A. B. Papandrew, M. M. Mench, and T. A. Zawodzinski, “Probing Electrode Losses in All-Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries with Impedance Spectroscopy,” ECS Electrochem. Lett. 2, A43-A45, (2013).
- D. Aaron, C. N. Sun, M. Bright, A. B. Papandrew, M. M. Mench, and T. A. Zawodzinski, “In-Situ Kinetics Studies in All-Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries,” ECS Electrochem. Lett. 2, A29-A31, (2013).
- Chakraborty, S., Manahan, M.P. and Mench, M.M., “A Signal Processing Framework for Simultaneous Detection of Multiple Environmental Contaminants,” Measurement Science and Technology, 24, 115102-11513 (2013).
- Cekmer, O., LaManna, J. M., Mench, "Alternative analytical analysis for improved Loschmidt diffusion cell," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 65, 883-892 (2013).
- Q. Liu, A. Turhan, T.A. Zawodzinski, M.M. Mench, "In-situ potential distribution measurement in an all-vanadium flow battery," Chem Communications, 49, 6292-6294 (2013).
- L.J. Zheng, A.K. Srouji, A. Turhan, and M. M. Mench, "Ultra-high current density water management in polymer electrolyter fuel cell with porous metallic flow field," Journal of Power Sources, Volume 239, 1 October 2013. Pages 433-442.
- M. P., Manahan, Q.H. Liu, M. Gross, and M. M. Mench, "Carbon nanoporous layer for reaction location management and performance enhancement in all-vanadium redox flow batteries," Journal of Power Sources,Volume 222, 15 January 2013. Pages 498-502.
Water Content and Dynamics Visualization with Neutron Imaging