Advanced Multiphase PEFC Performance Model Now Available for Download
Click Here to Download
Welcome to the Electrochemical Energy
Storage and Conversion Laboratory (EESC)
- The FCDDL specializes in development of advanced experimental diagnostics and computational tools for polymer electrolyte and microbial fuel cells.
- The APL was created in 2011 to maintain and grow an array of ongoing research concepts and funded programs that fall outside the realm of batteries and fuel cells.
- The FBDDL was created in 2010 to respond to the growing need to understand methods of transport in flow battery systems.
Recent Publications from the EESC Lab
- A. Pezeshki, J. Clement, G. Veith, T. Zawodzinski, "High performance electrodes in vanadium redox flow batteries through oxygen-enriched thermal activation," Journal of Power Sources, 294, 333-338 (2015).
- O. Cekmer, S. Um, M. M. Mench, “Application of path-percolation theory and Lattice-Boltzmann method to investigate structure-property relationships in porous media,”International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 86, 101-112 (2015).
- A. Z. Weber, R. L. Borup, R. M. Darling, P. K. Das, T. J. Dursch, W. Gu, D. Harvey, A. Kusoglu, S. Litster, M. M. Mench, R. Mukundan, J. P. Owejan, J. Pharoah, M. Secanell, I. Zenyuk, “A Critical Review of Modeling Transport Phenomena in Polymer‐Electrolyte Fuel Cells,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 161, F1254-F1299 (2014).
- J. M. LaManna, J. V. Bother, F. Y. Zhang, M. M. Mench, "Measurement of Capillary Pressure in Fuel Cell Diffusion Media, Micro-porous Layers, Catalyst Layers, and Interfaces," Journal of Power Sources, (2014). In press.
- M. P. Manahan, J. T. Clement, A. K. Srouji, S. W. Brown, T. Reutzel, and M. M. Mench, "Laser Modified Fuel Cell Diffusion Media: Engineering Enhanced Performance via Localized Water Redistribution" Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 161, F1-F9 (2014).
- Xu, G.Q. LaManna, J. M., Clement, J. T., and Mench, M. M., “Direct measurement of through-plane thermal conductivity of partially saturated fuel cell diffusion media,” Journal Power Sources, 256, 212-219, (2014).
- LaManna, Chakraborty, S., Gagliardo, J. J, and Mench, M. M., “Isolation of transport mechanisms in PEFCs using high resolution neutron imaging,” Int. J. Hydrogen Eng, (2014). Accepted for publication.
- Jon P. Owejan, J. P, Trabold, T. A. , and Mench, M. M., “Oxygen Transport Resistance Correlated to Liquid Water Saturation in the Gas Diffusion Layer of PEM Fuel Cells," International journal of heat and mass transfer, 71, 585-592 (2014).
- Che-Nan Sun, F. M. Delnick, D. S. Aaron, A. B. Papandrew, M. M. Mench, and T. A. Zawodzinski, “Probing Electrode Losses in All-Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries with Impedance Spectroscopy,” ECS Electrochem. Lett. 2, A43-A45, (2013).
- D. Aaron, C. N. Sun, M. Bright, A. B. Papandrew, M. M. Mench, and T. A. Zawodzinski, “In-Situ Kinetics Studies in All-Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries,” ECS Electrochem. Lett. 2, A29-A31, (2013).
- Chakraborty, S., Manahan, M.P. and Mench, M.M., “A Signal Processing Framework for Simultaneous Detection of Multiple Environmental Contaminants,” Measurement Science and Technology, 24, 115102-11513 (2013).
- Cekmer, O., LaManna, J. M., Mench, "Alternative analytical analysis for improved Loschmidt diffusion cell," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 65, 883-892 (2013).
- Q. Liu, A. Turhan, T.A. Zawodzinski, M.M. Mench, "In-situ potential distribution measurement in an all-vanadium flow battery," Chem Communications, 49, 6292-6294 (2013).
- L.J. Zheng, A.K. Srouji, A. Turhan, and M. M. Mench, "Ultra-high current density water management in polymer electrolyter fuel cell with porous metallic flow field," Journal of Power Sources, Volume 239, 1 October 2013. Pages 433-442.
- M. P., Manahan, Q.H. Liu, M. Gross, and M. M. Mench, "Carbon nanoporous layer for reaction location management and performance enhancement in all-vanadium redox flow batteries," Journal of Power Sources,Volume 222, 15 January 2013. Pages 498-502.