Advanced Multiphase PEFC Performance Model Now Available for Download
Click Here to Download
Welcome to the Electrochemical Energy
Storage and Conversion Laboratory (EESC)
- The FCDDL specializes in development of advanced experimental diagnostics and computational tools for polymer electrolyte and microbial fuel cells.
- The APL was created in 2011 to maintain and grow an array of ongoing research concepts and funded programs that fall outside the realm of batteries and fuel cells.
- The FBDDL was created in 2010 to respond to the growing need to understand methods of transport in flow battery systems.
Recent Publications from the EESC Lab
- Chakraborty, S., Manahan, M.P. and Mench, M.M., “A Signal Processing Framework for Simultaneous Detection of Multiple Environmental Contaminants,” Measurement Science and Technology, May, 2013. In press.
- Cekmer, O., LaManna, J. M., Mench, M. M.,"Alternative analytical analysis for improved Loschmidt diffusion cell," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 65, 883-892 (2013).
- Q. Liu, A. Turhan, T.A. Zawodzinski, M.M. Mench, "In-situ potential distribution measurement in an all-vanadium flow battery," Chem Communications, 49, 6292-6294 (2013).
- Zheng, L. J., Srouji, A. K., Dross, R., Turhan, A., Mench, M. M., “Computational engineering of porous flow field PEFCs to enable high temperature high power density operation,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160, F119 (2013).
- D. Aaron, C. Sun, M. Bright, A. Papandrew, M. M. Mench, and T. A. Zawodzinski, "In Situ Kinetics Studies in All-Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries," Journal of the Electrochemical Society, In Press.
- M. P., Manahan, Q.H. Liu, M. Gross, and M. M. Mench, "Carbon nanoporous layer for reaction location management and performance enhancement in all-vanadium redox flow batteries," Journal of Power Sources,Volume 222, 15 January 2013. Pages 498-502.
- Srouji, A. K., Zheng, L. J., Dross, R., Turhan A., Mench, M. M., “Water management in PEFC with porous metallic flow field at ultra-high current density,” Journal of Power Sources, 239, 433 (2012).
- Manahan, M. P. and Mench, M. M., Laser Perforated Fuel Cell Diffusion Media: Engineered Interfaces for Improved Ionic and Oxygen Transport, J. Electrochem. Soc., 159, Issue 7, pp. F322-F330 (2012).
- Srouji, A. K., Zheng, L. J., Dross, R., Turhan, A., Mench, M. M., "Performance and Mass Transport in Open Metallic Element Architecture Fuel Cells at Ultra-High Current Density," J Power Sources, accepted June 2012.
- Q.H. Liu, G.M. Grim, A.B. Papandrew, A. Turhan, T. A. Zawodzinski, M. M. Mench, “High performance vanadium redox flow batteries with optimized electrode configuration and membrane selection”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 159 (2012) A1246 – A1252
- L.J. Zheng, A.K. Srouji, A. Turhan, and M.M. Mench, Computational Exploration of Ultra-High Current PEFC Operation with Porous Flow Field, J. Electrochem. Soc., 159, pp F267-277 (2012).
- S. Chakraborty, and M.M. Mench, “Modeling of Socio-Cultural Evolution of Opinion Dynamics in Networked Societies", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 7227, Social Computing, Behavioral - Cultural Modeling and Prediction, 78-86, 2012.
- D.S. Aaron, Q. Liu, Z. Tang, G.M. Grim, A.B. Papandrew, A. Turhan, T.A. Zawodzinski, M.M. Mench, "Dramatic Performance Gains in Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries Through Modified Cell Architecture", Journal of Power Sources, 206 (2012) 450-453.
Water Content and Dynamics Visualization with Neutron Imaging